Requirements & Skills
- Degree in fire engineering or relevant subject
- Chartered or in the process of qualifying
- 4+ years’ experience in a consultancy environment dealing with a wide range of clients
- Significant experience in delivering large complex fire engineering projects from inception to completion with the focus on consistently delivering high quality work within budget
- Site experience in compartmentation surveys, penetration sealing and cladding inspections or willing to learn
- Excellent working knowledge of fire safety legislation and guidance documents used in fire engineering
- Client facing with the ability to manage expectations and negotiate with clients and approval authorities
- Excellent and timely report writing and comms skills to present to a range of clients
- Evidence of managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Manage the commercial aspects of the projects and track deliverables vs time spent
- Project management. All aspects – from assisting with preparation of quotes, through to management of the delivery of the technical expertise, analyses and reports as necessary
- Management of budgets
- Liaising closely with clients on ongoing projects
- Reviewing drawings and other technical information submitted by design teams, drafting and preparing documentation and reports for the fire engineering design of buildings
- Correspondence, liaison, reporting, etc. with other employees and Clients, as required
- Dealing with internal and external enquiries efficiently and professionally as a point of contact for the Fire Engineering Team
- Maintaining and recording continuous professional development (CPD) training to continually improve technical expertise, including training activities (both internal & external, formal & informal – e.g. shadowing and on-the-job training)
- Attend client meetings
- In conjunction with colleagues, assist with developing and maintaining effective & efficient electronic filing and project management systems
- Provide cover during the absence of other Team members
- Producing/amending technical CPD style seminars and presentations, disseminating findings and leading team briefings
- Flexibility in supporting the Team and others in reacting to immediate and urgent operational issues
- Working effectively in a team environment to cover for other engineering work within IFC
Education & Experience
- BSc (Hons) (or higher) in engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer status would be preferable, but if not, IFC will help encourage employees to achieve this.
- Experience of delivering fire strategies on complex buildings.
- Experience of carrying out fire engineering analyses (evacuation analyses, CFD, other) would be beneficial but not essential.
- Experience of carrying out site inspections of installed fire protection systems (passive and active) would be beneficial but not essential.
Commitment to equal opportunities and diversity
It is the policy of the IFC Group to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex, race, marital status, disability, age, part-time or fixed term contract status, sexual orientation or religion, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements that cannot be shown to be justifiable. The organisation is committed not only to its legal obligations but also to the positive promotion of equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment.
The application of recruitment, training, and promotion policies to all individuals will be on the basis of job requirements and the individual’s ability and merits.