To provide comprehensive fire engineering design advice as part of design team on a wide variety of projects and to ensure constant improvement and technical development to their skills in all areas of fire engineering.
This role will also provide guidance and support to junior members of staff to help their development as well as support for other parts of the IFC Group.
- Project management. This includes all aspects of project management from assisting with preparation of quotes, through to management of the delivery of the technical expertise, analyses and reports as necessary.
- Management of budgets on projects.Liaising with clients on ongoing projects.
- Reviewing drawings and other technical information submitted by design teams, drafting and preparing documentation and reports for the fire engineering design of buildings.
- Correspondence, liaison, reporting, etc. with other employees and Clients, as required.
- Dealing with enquiries internal and external by telephone, email or personally in an efficient and professional manner as a point of contact for the Fire Engineering Team.
- Maintaining continuous professional development (CPD) training in order to continually improve technical expertise, including keeping records of that CPD.
- Attend client meetings as required.
- In conjunction with others help to develop and maintain more effective and efficient electronic filing and project management systems.
- Provide cover during the absence of other Fire Engineering team members, as required (e.g. meeting attendance, leave, illness).
- Producing/amending technical CPD type seminars and PowerPoint presentations disseminating findings and team briefings, as required.
- Flexibility to support the Fire Engineering Team and others in reacting to immediate and urgent operational issues.
- Maintain accurate time recording on a timely basis including comprehensive records of CPD and training activities (both internal & external, formal and informal including such as shadowing and on-the-job training).
- Willingness to work in a team environment to cross cover for other Engineering work within IFC.
Education & Experience
- BSc (Hons) (or higher) in engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer status would be preferable, but if not, IFC will help encourage employees to achieve this.
- Experience of delivering fire strategies on complex buildings.
- Experience of carrying out fire engineering analyses (evacuation analyses, CFD, other) would be beneficial but not essential.
- Experience of carrying out site inspections of installed fire protection systems (passive and active) would be beneficial but not essential.
Commitment to equal opportunities and diversity
It is the policy of the IFC Group to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex, race, marital status, disability, age, part-time or fixed term contract status, sexual orientation or religion, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements that cannot be shown to be justifiable. The organisation is committed not only to its legal obligations but also to the positive promotion of equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment.
The application of recruitment, training, and promotion policies to all individuals will be on the basis of job requirements and the individual’s ability and merits.